Paleo Strawberry Donuts and a Birthday
My sweet Truman just celebrated his fourth birthday. It was such a sweet week of celebrating and seeing his little heart growing up into a kiddo. Love him.
We're not usually week-long birthday celebrators, but his preschool does a little snack celebration and it fell a few days before, so we got a little wild and stretched it out. Truman asked to bring strawberry donuts, out of the blue, for his birthday snack. We haven't had any of these sort of things from home since we went gluten and dairy-free well over a year ago, so I took to the internet, reading recipes to make this hybrid.
I love the cakey and chewy texture, the bright fruity bursts and the little tang from the vinegar and baking soda that helps them rise. You can easily use two salad bowls as the batter is for 6 donuts at a time and the recipe comes together so quickly. We've made these the last few Saturday mornings before the boys were even down from bed.
You could easily sub the strawberries out for similar fruit - blueberries, pineapple (with a pinch of coconut!), raspberries...would all work well. We enjoy these without frosting, but a simple powdered sugar/water glaze, marsh-mellow fluff, coconut whip, coconut butter or quick canned (don't tell my mom!) frosting would all do the trick.
Hope you enjoy making and eating them as much as Calvin enjoyed getting to attend Truman's preschool snack party with the big kids. So sweet this brother stuff. Happy baking!
Paleo Strawberry Donuts
Strawberry Cake Donuts - Refined Sugar Free, Gluten Free, Dairy Free, Egg Free Amazingnerss
Makes: 6 donuts
Prep time: 10 mins
Cook time: 10-12 mins
- 1/4 C coconut or almond milk
- 1 t apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 t vanilla extract
- 1/4 c pure maple syrup or honey
- 3 1/2 T coconut, olive or avocado oil
- 1 C G-free all-purpose flour (I like Bob’s Red Mill and Trader Joes)
- 1 t baking powder
- 1/4 t salt
- 1/2 c finely chopped strawberries
- Combine wet ingredients, first 5. Set aside.
- Grease donut pan or mini muffin pan, preheat oven to 350 F.
- Stir together remaining ingredients except for strawberries.
- Pour wet mix into dry mix and stir until just combined. Don’t overmix.
- Fold in strawberries.
- Scoop batter into prepared donut pan. It will be thick, distribute evenly.
- Bake 10-12 minutes, until lightly golden. Let cool on cooling rack 5-10 minutes. Flip pan and enjoy donuts!